Friday, July 20, 2007

The Giant Leap



"I believe I can Fly"

I am writing this in my belief that you need to read this, whether you are 10 years old or hundred, because not many people I know believe what I hold very dear in my life, albeit not necessarily one that I follow.


There are many people, that constantly surround each and every one of us who influence the decisons we makes. They come in different shapes and sizes and are known by many names. Family, friends, foes, teachers and of course strangers. But, do they necessarily influence us in a righteous manner? Or is their influence just a reflection of their fears and limitations. I believe it to be the latter. I believe the choices we make go wrong only because of this influence, which in itself is a choice that we make, perhaps not consciously.

"I believe I can fly" is an R. Kelly song from the 60s decade, and no better words were ever spoken. Its the faith that decides who you are or what you will become, because it is the faith that leads you to choices that you face. Friends and family will always tell you to play it safe, undoubtedly, unwavingly. If you prepare for a giant leap, they will coerce you into doubting that you can even run, let alone fly. You will start seeing the abyss that covers the length of your leap, your hand shakes, fear clouds the eyes and mysts the brain, until the senses take leave forcing a senseless decision thats not here or there, or halfway here, halfway there. You would expect the solution to fail, but it doesnt. And you feel vindicated, eternally grateful to friends and family, but a shadow creeps in your minds, If Only....

But why does it work, it shouldnt. Right? Yes in the perfect world it shouldnt, but the world is so screwed up, what shouldnt work works. Of course the giant leap could have taken you to withering heights.. but still. But here is the tricky part, you see it so happens that you either leaped off or stayed behind is not the only possibility. Not every one of us is as strong of constitution as others. We often waiver at the brink of this leap, and people braver than the ones who didnt leap yet weaker in mind than those who leaped to the destination, falter midway. That is the fate that awaits most of us, if we continue the influence of irresponsible friends and family in the name of protection. The ideas fail, a giant leap ending in abyss, not because you werent good enough but because you allowed someone else to enter the sanctity of your mind, which is yours alone. You have to believe, to be prepared to fall and yet leap.

I said in my second post, "I believe in strength of heart" . Now I elaborate. What I mean is it that I believe everyone is capable of great things. Everyone has a destiny, a dream to follow, not much unlike Santiago of The Alchemist, who follows a vague recurring dream to war and glory, to pyramids and to love of his life and back again with more treasure than a shepherd can dream of. Cindrella says, "Dreams are the wishes our heart make when we fall asleep." So why is it that you discard the power of dreams over shallow whining of your fellows. Allow your heart to expand, your mind to wander. Will it to find your path, and when it does, care not whether it is one that your brothers will approve of or not. "Go where there is no path and leave a trail," and of course the very famous...
"Two roads to virgin'a wood. I took the one less travelled by, and that has made the difference."

If you must let other people influence you let it be ones worthy of it. Whether its Aragorn of Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. Abraham Lincoln or Gandhi, Da Vinci or Newton. Einstein or Hitler. To each, its own. But let it be someone or something, matters not, lest it be ordinary. The phrase is Carpe Diem, make your lives extraordinary. I try to listen to my heart, I try to take the dangerous paths when my brain wills me to do otherwise. Its the battle between the brain and heart, and it is not that my heart is without fear. It is neither that my heart prevails over my brain everytime they collide, in fact they are evenly matched. But, I give my heart enough opportunity to sedate my brain, so that when time comes I will take that giant leap, perhaps I will falter, perhaps I will succeed. But it matters little, for the fun will be in soaring through the air, falling down will pass. The excruciating pain (if I fall down) will pass too, but what will remain with me if I dont leap is the big If only... but hopefully it will be the memory of that long flight and the light touchdown at success... where will you be?

No comments: